[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E39 FM reception / radar detector

To all new E39 528i owners:

Are you happy with your FM radio reception?

I have noticed a distinct degradation in reception of some local FM
stations on the E39 radio tuner, compared to my previous car's radio (Acura
integra).  I can hear quite a bit of static (not permanently, but in some
areas where the reception is obviously poorer) on stations where I always
used to have perfect reception before.  Could it be that the rear
window-integrated antenna on the E39 does not provide as good a reception
as a standard telescopic antenna?  If that's the case, it's a shame and
disconcerting, for a expensive luxury sedan!
If it is not supposed to be that way, what is the problem and how can it be
fixed?  (Since the FM reception is only slightly poorer than on my Acura, I
doubt my dealer would consider it a problem and would probably just discard
my claim.  What do you think?)

BTW, I'm also disappointed to find out that the water can accumulate below
the fuel cap behind the fuel door.  A little drain hole would have fixed
the problem there.

On another note, I'm looking for recommendations on radar detectors:
	- make
	- model
	- Cordless vs cord

Is there a consensus out there as to what's effective, yet affordable?  Can
someone recommend a step-by-step installation procedure (hard wiring)
specifically for the E39, such that the detector will turn on with the
ignition?  (I will be installing or have installed the integrated BMW
universal transmitter/garage opener between the sunroof button and the
phone microphone grill.  I would assume the detector could be hard-wired at
the same time from the same power source.  Any suggestions?)

Finally, I would love to hear from other E39 owners.  There are very few
posts on the digest about these cars, presumably because there aren't that
many in circulation yet.  If anyone out there wants to share his/her
experiences, or hear about mine, contact me.

Is there a separate list for 5er owners?  I hate to use the digest's
bandwidth for these non-technical topics that are of little interest to
most of the readers.  Anyway, looking forward to some responses...

Christophe Lemaire
BMWCCA # 132924
1997 E39 528i Euro. delivery. 1.6k mi.
1993 SAAB 9000CS (my wife's car)