[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

CCA RACE AT SUMMIT POINT

Hello fellow digesters.
	 The weather was good and the cars fast!  If any of you get the chance
to attend a CCA race DO IT!!!!!   I have never seen so many E30 M3's in one
place. I also gained a whole lot of respect for the M 4-cyl. There was a great
variety of cars to watch. Between laps for the racers, lappers were allowed
out on course. These were instructors, advanced students, and racers getting
additional seat time. This is where you got to see many cars not normally on
the track during a race weekend.
	The race itself provided a level of excitment I believe to be higher
than SCCA races that I've seen at this track. (maybe this was due to the fact
that all involved had our favorite badge attached) I have seen many posts on
the E30/36 M3 debate, but on the track this day the old one ruled. Turner
Motorsports E30 M3 dominated period. I was told that this car had a european
touring car engine, Whatever mods were done it went like stink!!  That is not
to take away from the other racers as there was plenty of action the whole way
through the pack. For those who know the track I was seated on the infield
between turns 5 and 6. Turn 6 had water directly beside the track on the inside
of the corner. During the course of the race, cars would put a wheel off on the
the inside and shower the corner with water. Now put yourself in the drivers
seat flying into a corner with nice dry pavement and hot sticky tires and.....
WET SLIPPERY CORNER!!!  I,m sure that a microphone would have recorded more
than one HOLY #$%@$$.  This happened a few times during the race. Amazingly
enough I did not see anyone bump each other. The few off track excursions all
seemed to come out ok.
	Well I could go on and on but you get the idea. IT WAS A FUN DAY!!!!!
I repeat If you can get to one of these races you will not be sorry. Lots of
neat stuff to look at and lots of good racing. Oh I forgot to mention that
admission was free, which was a nice touch as I am now saving money for 635
parts because on of the "lappers" was a very fast 633 staying right with new
M3's (might have been driver skill but I like dreaming that my 635 can someday
run with the new stuff)

Bill Bair
'86 635 CSI
'83 528