[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FOR SALE Pioneer CD Changer

Upon further research, I've found out that the Pioneer CDX-M30 will not
 be able to mate with my BMW/Pioneer head unit.  My head unit's model
 number is KE93ZBM.  When I press the PROG and MINUS buttons I get
 "PIO2" or "P102" depending on the reader.  Apparently, BMW changed the
 data chip in late 1994 builddate cars (mine was about Sept. '94 build)
 to prevent exactly what I'm trying to do - which is to use the Pioneer
 CDX-M30.

The cd changer will work pre-late 1994 builddate cars.  From my notes,
 these model numbers would definitely work

KE83ZBM
CM5901
KE91ZBM

or having the codes when you press the PROG and MINUS key:

"Alpine"
"Alpine1"
"Alpine2"
"PIO"
"PIO1"

It would definitely would NOT WORK with "PIO2" or "Alpine5".  I cannot
 say for anything else.  Some units may also require swapping pins 12
 and 13 on the connector.  This can easily be verified by checking
 continuity from the radio end of the cable to the trunk end of the cable.

The Pioneer CDX-M30 changer is brand new and unused, not mounted, still
 has its original box, wrappings and all paperwork, and is EXACTLY 2
 days old today (Tuesday).  I'm selling the cd changer, 2 EXTRA 6 disc
 holders, and the adapter cable for $360 plus shipping.  For
 comparison, the changer alone is $469 and $440 from two different
 local stores.  The extra disc holders are about $20 each and the
 adapter is $30.

Please e-mail me privately with your radio model number or radio code
 when you press the PROG and MINUS keys together.  You can also call me
 at (716) 427-3502 work or (716) 271-2376 home.

Thanks,

Armand Aquino
BMW CCA Board Member
Genesee Valley Chapter
Newsletter Editor

P.S. - On another note, I also inquired about getting a whole new
 aftermarket head unit and CD changer for about $700 such as Sony or
 Alpine.  I was told by the installer that they would have to charge an
 extra $100 for my particular BMW since BMW made it more difficult to
 connect to the amplifier.   This also involves a good amount of
 teardown in the interior-something I'm not willing to do.  Also, the
 top of the line Sony changer only has 92dB Signal to Noise ratio while
 the Pioneer has 97dB.  Newer models tend to be lower spec'ed to keep
 costs low, I've been told.  So my only recourse (only recourse for
 people with "PIO2" radios) is to get the BMW version of the Pioneer
 CDX-M30 for about $500.  That's a HUGE difference in price for adding
 a BMW sticker.