[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E21> 323i - cold start problems

LEON. wrote
>I have a 1980 323i which is in perfect condition.  During this winter
>time, however, it has a lot of trouble starting the engine.
>...(the car just stall)..

I had an E21 320i which had the K-jetronic (with lambda) fuel
injection - I have no idea what the 323i's had but here are a few
things that helped me with winter running:

the biggest improvement came from adjusting the additional air slide
valve. This made all the difference in the world. The car used to
stall all the time when cold until I fixed this.

Remove the air slide valve - undo the electrical connector and the
hose clamps and it lifts right out. Look through it. There is a plate
with a slot in it. When cold, the plate should be swivelled so that
the slot lets LOTS of extra air through.

The valve has a spring and a bi-metallic strip inside. When the car is
running, the strip heats up and pushes the valve closed to close off
the air.

Put the valve in your freezer for a while. Take it out. It should be
WIDE open. If not, there is a nut on the side of the valve. Loosen it
and with a screwdriver or something poke inside the valve and open the
valve fully. Then tighten the nut.

Or do it warm and move the valve to *just* before the slot is visible.

Check to make sure the plate swivels freely. I sprayed lots of WD-40
to un-gunk mine as well as adjusting the nut. Verify that when cold
the valve is OPEN and when warmed up (run the engine for a while) the
valve is closed.

hope this helps

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i