[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Jim C's Chip w/autos

I quoted Sam, then responded with:

>>> Sam wrote:
>>>    >I've brought up the issue of slow downshifts on the E36 auto trans
>>>
>>> Sam..my brother had this same complaint with his 1993 325i.  He installed
>>> Jim C's chip and was surprised to find that it not only provided a nice
>>> power increase, but also quickened the shifting of the gears.  He is quite
>>> impressed with the difference the chip has made with his auto.  You may want
>>> to try it.

Sam replied back with:

>>was the chip an engine chip or a tranny chip?  does the engine chip
>>affect shifting?

Sam:
  Thought I would reply back to the list since lots of folks would be
interested, and Jim can best comment on his product. It's an engine chip,
Jim apparently does not make an auto-tranny-chip, at least for the E36 325.
My brother is convinced though that it somewhow affects the shifting. Where
he used to encounter the delay, he says it's more of a slight kick.  Hes had
it for about 6 weeks now and always comments on it.  He just came back from
a DC to NC to PA to DC trip and hit 120 a few times.  He was nervous about
the all-season type Uniroyals that came on the car, so he slowed it down.
He also has the Authority Flo-Tech by the way.

FYI: I think Dinan is the only ones that make the "tranny" chip.
Autothority in Fairfax, VA used to sell it, but over the phone they told me
the gains were not worth the trouble.  They also said they found slightly
increased wear on the transmission when they used a tranny chip.  Dinan
seems to have no problem in taking peoples money if they want to throw at
Dinan.  I have heard that Dinan charges EXTRA to remove the speedlimiter if
you get their chips!  What a rip!  Jim C charges nothing extra for doing this.

Attention Jim C:
  Could you please clarify whether or not your chip affects the transmission
shift points.

Thanx

Ron
Bowie, MD