[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

79 528i in need of...

I am a first time writer to the list but an old time BMW fan.  I currently have '79 528i ( in the
past I've owned: '76 530i, '83 323i, '79 735i euro.)   My 528i has 180k miles, recent rebuilt 4 sp
w/new clutch, Stahl headers, Bilstein struts.  Car is very solid and strong, has original silver
paint and interior looks like new, no cracks anywhere (some discoloration on the white vinyl
headliner, is there a product to clean/dye that?).

1. I'm in the middle of finding a leak in the a/c system apparently somewhere close or in the
evaporator ( I hope close to it not IN it!),  Is there anything I should replace/check aside from
the expansion valve and the drier to make this thing COOL? (I live in Houston).  If the evaporator
is bad, I plan on buying a used one (new: $500, used: $100) and having it pressure tested before
installation, Any thoughts?

2. The oil light comes on for a split second when coming from high rpm to idle, it doesn't stay on.
The problem seems temporarily alleviated when I put fresh Castrol 20-50 and filter.  I recently had
the radiator 'boiled' and the temp now runs at 1/4 (down from 3/4!, I recommend it, about $130
complete job). Should I run heavier oil?, is the oil pump worn ?

3. The exhaust get loud around 3500 - 4500 rpm specially when the pedal's to the floor (often).  I
have Stahl headers going to original dual system (cat, middle, rear mufflers, they seem relatively
worn).  It seems that the noise comes out of the headers (no leaks) because they are so much thinner
than the OEM manifold.  I thought about wrapping the headers with header insulation.
 Any thoughts?

4. The transmission shop that rebuilt my 4 speed insisted on filling it with Castrol 20-50 even
after a told them to put OEM specs, they said it's better: 'we are the experts...'.  Is this good?
should I use OEM specs? Redline MTL?

5.  I am interested in any information that can help my 528i run better/faster.
 I currently get about 16 mpg around town and the car is a bit hard to start when hot and idles
rough/low for about a minute after starting hot, until I step on the gas and bring the revs up.
Other than that, it has good power and runs very smooth. (any special books for this E12 I should
get?).

 Hope that wasn't too long...my next one won't be.          Thanks in advance...

 Sergio L. Juan
 juans@domain.elided
 home phone : 713.802.1049

 p.s.  Replace that power steering filter (inside the reservoir) if the pump moans and groans when
you turn at low speeds.  It worked for me.