[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 328 Auto vs 5spd

>>From: carnone@domain.elided
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 16:43:33 EDT
Subject: 328 auto vs manual

I hate to feed fuel into this, but regarding resale value, look at the
percentage of the types of cars sold new to determine their resale value
years down the road.  This is a good rule of thumb.  If BMW is selling
(suppose) 40% of 328s as auto trannys, then there will be sufficient demand
for these cars in the used market given their popularity when sold as new.
If on the other hand, only 10% of 328s go out with auto trannys, then I would
be worried.<<

For what its worth, my dealer, who has sold over just under 80 328's so far
this year tells me that typically 4 out of 5 sold are Automatics (80%), and
he has always ordered 3 series in that proportion. And despite the fact that
used 328's with the Auto Tranny will be a "dime a dozen" one day,  they will
NEVERTHELESS have a higher resale than an identicle car with the stick. Why?
"Because with very very few exceptions, 95% of used 3 series buyers look for
the automatic first." he says.

.Tom

.1996 328is Green & tan      ||||||||||||||||||||||||||   Newtman@domain.elided
.Sports pckg, 5spd              || E36+M52 ||   73233.616@domain.elided
.ASC+T & Harmon Kardon   ||||||||||||||||||||||||||   L.I., N.Y. CCA#111050

.Added: Racing Dynamics Strut Brace
.           BMP/VDO E36 Gauge Cluster
.           BBS Moda 7.5 X 16 rims
.           M-Technic body treatment