[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: <e28> faded bumper covers..

Tony asks:

>Subject: <e28> Faded black bumper covers
>
>Does anyone have any tips or past experience with a) cleaning faded e28
>(85 528e) bumper covers?  (I always seem to get wax on them when waxing
>the paint), b) "restoring"/painting/making them look better?

I've had very good luck using flexible bumper paint - in black. I
got it from Pep Boys - there are several brands, and since I'm not
at home and can't go into the garage to look - can't tell you which
one I used - probably DuraCoat (makes lots of car type paints)..

To do them - you'll first want to make sure the rubber bits are
clean and grease free.. I've used paint thinner (varsol) to clean
them with a rag before painting (this is especially important if you
have any wax on them...). Then mask off the rubber bits carefully,
and start spraying. As usual - several thin coats are better than
a single thick coat (read can for details). When done - carefully
dispose of any rags with the varsol on them - they will spontaniously
combust if not disposed of correctly (I always put them in an open
outside metal garbage can).

I did this about 4 years ago to BOHICA and the bumpers still look
fine..

Best,

Don Eilenberger
deilenberger@domain.elided