[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

e36 318ti (perceived) imperfections

After one year with my lovely jet black 318ti, I have experienced NO
mechanichal problems. However, I have what I consider to be several
imperfections.

Should the dealer fix these things?

1. Literally tens of tiny (and not so tiny) paint chips all over the hood
and grill.

I never experienced/noticed anything like these on my old chevrolet
products, which had thousands of more miles on them.

These stick out badly on a Jet Black car, and seem excessive for only one
year of use. Who can I talk to about this???? Joe Machens BMW in Columbia,
Mo., does not own up to any sort of problems easily. Their response on paint
problems is "The BMW pain rep. will need to look at that. We'll call you the
next time he's scheduled to be in." . . .No call.

2. Door post plastic covering "wrinkling."

On the rear, outside, upper portion of each door the vertical post is
covered with a black vinyl material. On each door, this matterial is no
longer tightly covering the door post. It is wrinkling and bunching up.

3. Driver side door latch is hard to open.

The drivers side door latch requires much greater force to open than the
passenger side. This is true both from inside and outside the car. Sometimes
it is VERY DIFFICULT to pull the little handle on the inside of the door
hard enough to get it open.

Dealer said it's just a minor adjustment, but didn't offer to do it. I think
it's some problem inside the door.

4. Middle dash vent does not stay open all the way.

This vent/dash is different in 318ti's than other e36's. It has a knob in
the middle which refuses to stay open, greatly restricting A/C airflow from
the biggest vent in the car.

I think the dealer should fix all these things, shouldn't they? Any input
greatly appreciated (ESPECIALLY on the ugly and numerous paint chips).