[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> Sluggish Auto shifts

Maybe the DOWNSHIFT switch (under the gas pedal, if the E36 is anything like
the E34) is bad, OR maybe there is not enough force being exerted to
activate it. Inactive switch results in a throttle position demand shift,
which takes a fair amount of time.

                                                Gwynne Spencer          '94
530IA

 Sam Chien-shin Lin  wrote:

I've brought up the issue of slow downshifts on the E36 auto trans
before (specifically, my '95 325i), and have been told by some that
putting the shifter in 3 instead of D will cause faster shifts.  I
haven't found that to be the case.  The shift points get moved up, but
there is still that long delay between when you hit the gas and when
the gearbox kicks down and revs jump up - very dangerous when trying
to switch lanes in a traffic jam.

Anyway, I tried a 328i this weekend, and it shifts absolutely
flawlessly w/ no delay.  My guess is that they must have reprogrammed
the transmission chip.

Question:  Does anyone know about a TSB for sluggish shifting?  Is
there a way to get the dealer to fix my gearbox so it shifts like a
328?

TIA,
Sam