[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Dealer Maintenance

Cimor wrote:
   >I have to know if it's just me or what. I brought my 3281s into the
>dealership for an oil service, the light was on. When I picked up my
>car, the invoice read $106.00. I asked "why so high, when the last time
>I had an oil change it was $40.00" The owner replied "YOU HAD AN OIL
>SERVICE" ok..... what does an oil service mean? she replied "we check
>all the belts, top off your fluids, check your air preasure, change your
>oil and filter" I replied ok.... why so much for an oil change?
>
>Am I missing something here? Has anyone else been screwed?

By now I thought everyone knew that the "stealer", I mean dealer is usually
the highest place in town for everything. Why?

1)They do spend lots of money on all the current equipment needed to do
ANYTHING that needs to be done to your car.  Many independents may NOT have
all the right equipment.
2)Dealers use factory parts.  OE usually costs more.
3)They ALLEGEDLY use the best mechanics.  (This can seriously be debated).

Now, do you have to go there? No.  Its amazing how many people I know still
think that they HAVE to go to the dealer while the car is under warranty, or
else their warranty is voided.  NOT TRUE.  Do it yourself, keep your
receipts, keep a notebook/log.  Thats
all you need to do.  I change my own oil/filters/fluids/plugs...hell, I even
"check" my tire pressure, "Check" my exhaust for leaks, "check" my belts,
and all those other "check" items the dealercharges $70 per hour labor to
do.  What a rip. I once estimated that I have saved, over 4 years and 64,000
miles approximately $2000 in
dealer "maintenance".

Good Luck
Ron