[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

540i V8 Engine Problem

I posted a question reagrding the problems with the 1995 V8 engine ( I have
a 540 V8 6sp) and so far the only response has been e-mail questions to me
regarding the narure of the problem....To answer those that have contacted
me let me state the little that I know about the situation.
Due to the materal used to coat  the cylinders, or the material the
cylinders themselves are made of, the V8 engines in 1995 ( I am not sure of
other years or engines ) tend to develop a coating of sulfa ( origin -
gasoline! ) that eventually causes the engine to cease. I believe this
process takes a long time and may be realted to only certain fuels of lower
octane ( I was even told the problem only existed in the southern states as
their gas has a higher sulfa content - sounds fishy).
I understand that BMW has extended the engine warranty to 100,000 miles/5
years - and you thought these cars lasted forever-HA! The newer cars (1997)
do not have this problem to my knowledge.
HELP!!! Does ANYONE have more accurate info as to the above? Is there a
solution to the problem ( It would seem to me that at some point the cars
with the affected engines will be worth very little as beyond the warranty
period correcting the problem will be up to the owners-$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)???????

                      Any help with this "situation" will be greatly
appreciated,

                                           Thanks

                                          Paul Krieger