[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Which BMW should I get ??

Hi,
I have a couple of questions that I hope the list can
help me with.

My wife and I need a new car.  My car experience tends
towards the fixer-uper type.  She wants something
reliable and safe, I would like a nice sports sedan.
We have decided that a BMW will fit the bill.  (this
comes, in part, from my experience with BMW
motorcycles, 1973 R75/5 68,000 miles, still runs great)

So, which one should we get ?

She has some physical problems that require an automatic
transmission. We also live in Idaho, so we get some snow.

What's the opinion on the 318ti with an automatic ??  Is
it to wimpy ??  I drove a 318is at the local dealer
and wasn't impressed with its acceleration, but did
like the handling.

The dealer has a 1992 325i.  This doesn't have the
variable valve timing on the engine, right ??  It seemed
to respond much better than the 318.  Will be 6 cylinder
engine last longer than the 4 ??  Is the lack of
traction control a concern with the higher horsepower
engine ??  I read the FAQ on winter driving, but there
isn't much on the ASC system.

Should I just pay the extra money (lots of extra money)
and get a 328i with ASC ??  What's the opinion on this
car ?? Should I be concerned with the reliability of the
automatic ??

Does anyone know if next years 3-series will have side
airbags ??

Thanks,
Roger

Roger Rowley
roger_rowley@domain.elided
1967 MGB-GT Special,1974 Saab Sonnet III,1973 BMW R75/5