[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: <E36> 318ti "GROARING" noise in A/C

Vida,

On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, vida morkunas wrote:

> I have a '95 318ti with the same problem:

Thank goodness! :)

I thought I must be the only 318ti owner out there who's having this
problem, but apparently not ... you're the third person so far who's
reported this problem on the '95 318ti.

> there is a BMW bulletin about this problem, they call it a 'GROARING'
> noise.  It will be noticeable when you have the a/c set at 2 or 1 (mine

Do you have the bulletin number?  If it's okay with you, I plan to show
your email to the service advisor when I bring the car in; I'd have a
better case if I can reference bulletin numbers. etc. :)

> never 'groared' at 3 or 4) and it will only do so when you are driving
> at 2000 to 2500 rpm.  I am waiting for the parts to come in and the

EXACTLY!!  It always happens around low-speeds (under 3K RPMs)  and always
in the 1-2 fan position, and it's almost guaranteed to happen when it's
raining outside.

> bimmer should be in the shop next week to get this, and two other little
> defects, fixed.  The repair should take only a few hours and it is on
> warranty.

I don't know if my dealer would have this in stock, but I guess I'll ask
them to order it.

> I wonder what the German word for 'groaring' is -- but this accurately
> describes the sigh-turning-to-asthma-attack sound of the a/c :-))

More like a "howling" noise. :)

> The other defects are (1) the right ceiling panel drooping (again!!!) over
> the back seat (every time I have a passenger back there the ceiling droops

I haven't had this happened to me yet.

> -- no silly jokes about fat friends -- there is an internal clip that keeps
> popping off, they will replace it) and (2) the moulding on my driver's side
> window is peeling off (the wide, 3" band that separates the driver's window
> from the second window further back).

You're not the only one who had this happened to them.  Another 318ti
owner on the digest, Shawn Collins (I think?  Correct me if I got the
wrong person), also had this happened to his car.

> Thank goodness it's all free, but with troubles like this under warranty,
> what lies ahead in three years?!?

Exactly.  It doesn't instill much confidence.

> Still loving the zippiness of my Alaska Blau Active,

I almost ended up with an Alaska Blue 318ti Active, but finally was able
to get a Alpine White Active, though my first choice was the Boston Green.
I'm glad that I took the Alpine White.

Regards,

- --
  David Tay               http://www.taysystems.com/pub/tsr/tsr.html
  Tay Systems Research     Email: tsr@domain.elided / dtay@domain.elided
  3554 Chain Bridge Road, Suite 100           CompuServe: 74213,2471
  Fairfax, VA 22030-2709, USA  TEL.(703)760-9022 / FAX (703)893-1154