[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Pioneer CDX-M30 CD changer

>>For all the cars with a Pioneer head unit, BMW installed a "special"
 Pioneer DIN
cable (that had 13 pin male DIN connectors on both ends) so we (BMW owners)
could not just go out to the local radio store and get a Pioneer changer and
drop it in (like we all try to do).  Getting back to your note, I assume that
the installer connected power to the changer when he was testing it.  The only
way to test if the changer will work with the head unit is to direct
 connect the
changer to the back of the head unit using the changer-supplied DIN cable (as
your installer did).  Then, if the changer and head unit signals are
 compatible,
by pressing the BAND button, you can switch between FM, AM and CD.  Assuming
there was power at the changer and you were not able to select CD with the BAND
button, you may have an Alpine head unit.  If that is the case, I don't know
where to point you.  Anybody out there with an Alpine head unit in a 91 E34?
What kind of changer do you have?  Good luck!

My friend with a 95 M3 actually has an ALPINE head unit (found out by
 pressing "Prog" and "-" key) but with the BMW changer that was made by
 Pioneer!!!  Yes, I'm sure.  The door of the BMW/Pioneer changer pops
 down vs. the door of the BMW/Alpine unit slides to the right.

I just bought the Pioneer CDX-M30 for $289 at SBH Enterprise in NY.
 But, I haven't been able to connect it yet.  I do have a cable adapter
 by ACCELE.  I quote their instructions:

"BMW cars earlier than 1993 that are equipped with an OEM stereo Model#
 KE83ZBM may not require this adapter.  Also, cars equipped with an OEM
 stereo having the Model# KE91 or CM5903L MAY NOT BE ABLE to adapt to
 the CDX-M30.  To determine compatibility, press the Program (PRO) and
 the Minus (-) button simultaneously with the stereo on.  If Alp 5 or
 Alpine appears on the display screen, then that particular OEM stereo
 is INCOMPATIBLE with the Pioneer CDX-M30."

I found the power cable somewhere near the right rear speaker.  It has
 ground and +12V.  I also found the CD cable behind the tailights.  I
 used the adapter for the CD cable.  I plugged both connectors (the
 power cable needed some modifying) to the CD changer and voila!
 Nothing happened.  I can't select "CD" from the "Band" button.  Is
 there some step I'm missing?  The changer DOES have power since it
 does suck in the 6 disc CD cassette and checks each slot to make sure
 there's a disc in it.

Had anyone else run into the same problem???  My tape unit Model is
 KE93ZBM (as opposed to KE83ZBM as noted in the instructions).