[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Side mirror malfunction

Hi all, I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a little problem.
While en route to my parents place we hit/were hit by a bird.  We were
cruising in my wifes '88 735i at about 75-80 MPH and the bird came from left
side and impacted the side mirror.  The mirror folded in and the bird met the
side window (scared the heck out of me).  The mirror seemed OK when I popped
it back out, but later we discovered that the mirror glass seems loose, you
can move it around easily with your hand.  It seems to respond to the joystick
control but only goes up, not down.  When you push down you can hear the motor
go but nothing happens.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Does anyone know how to take whole side mirror
off?  Can I remove the little speaker inside the door and unbolt the mirror
from behind there? Or can the mirror be worked on in place?

TIA for you help

Craig Lovold           (clovold@domain.elided)
'88 735i (bone stock)
'85 Dinan 525i (not)