[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ABS

BTW, the ongoing argument @ ABS--it is a system which
permits the
STEERING of the vehicle while braking.  ABS means "ANTILOCK BRAKING
SYSTEM".
Locked wheels cannot be steered.  Convince yourselves on a safe parking
lot by
driving a vehicle with ABS and another without; the merits of ABS are
immediately
obvious to the driver when approaching pylons at 50mph, slamming on
brakes, and
trying to avoid hitting the pylons.  The car with ABS can be steered
around the
pylons--doen't that seem safer?

A skilled driver can sense how much traction is available for braking
while cornering and can brake accordingly.  But I agree that for the
average driver, ABS may be of benefit.  Personally, I would never order
ABS as an option, but if it came standard, I wouldn't take it off 8^).

- --
Jerome Soh
Surrey, BC, Canada
1993 Honda Civic Si Hatchback