[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <02> oil pan gasket replacement

Hey everybody, I'm not dead.  I'm very surprised to see my old college
account still active, esp. since I've not been enrolled since spring '95...
I've got an account at thiroy@domain.elided.  Everyone give me an e-mail
so I know it works...

So you have an oil leak on the front of your '02...

Removing the oil pan is a juuust-enoughhhhh-roooommmm scenario if you don't
jack up the motor.  Loosen the driver's side mount some if you want. If
the oil pan is removed with the crankshaft (and moon and planets) correctly
oriented, and you remove the oil pump and drop it into the pan, it will happen.
Replacing the gasket is fun, because you must take care not to knock it off as
you put the pan back in place.  Hmmm, better lift the motor an inch or two
anyway.
	It's a good time to check the bearings and replace the oil pump if
it's got many miles on it.  Shim the oil pump as necessary.  You can't remove
the oil pump chain (unless it has a master link) so shimming is your option.
	The front crank oil seal can be replaced in-car.  Good luck getting
the crank nut off.  You need a long breaker bar, a 30mm socket, and a 4x4
block of wood in the crankcase to keep the engine from turning.  Make sure you
clean up any wood shavings afterwards.   The timing cover leaks are no fun
to fix. I'll have you know my small-block sixes (323i, 325e/i) have simply
NEVER had a timing cover oil leak... (since they have a belt...) :-)

thi v.
Columbia, SC
'77 320i, '87 325i
'87 325is (dad's)