[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E21> 320is Steering Wheel on <02>

Victor L. Trucco <trucco@domain.elided> sayeth:

> I recently bought a 320is Steering Wheel to put on my 74 2002.
> Everything seems to match except the horn connection.  Does someone have
> some hints or a solution based on past experience with this setup?

Nice move!  I've been lusting after such a wheel.

I learned the answer to this question the hard way after my 2002
(with 320i steering wheel installed by previous owner) started blasting
its horn at random during a *driving school*.  My horn connection had
been kludged together in a manner I will not bother to describe.

The 2002 has the spring-loaded carbon brush on the wheel and the
circular brass contact ring on the column.  The 320i setup is the
opposite.  You can solve this by removing the 2002 contact ring and
its plastic holder from the steering column.  Then install a long
carbon brush assembly (from 320i as I recall) on the frame which
holds the turn signal and wiper switches.  It will fit at bottom
center after you do some filing there.  Also, it is too long, so
you will need to install it with a pair of spacers between it and
the frame, so that its base is farther away from the steering wheel
(toward the steering box).

Does anyone know if an E30 325is steering wheel can be installed
on a 2002 the same way?

Curt Ingraham
ingraham@domain.elided