[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

'89 325i - Headlight replacement?

Since '89 (when I bought my 325i), I've done a timing belt replacement,
installed a
new power window motor, put new nicads on my service indicator board, and
done
other maintenance, etc.  Yesterday the bulb on my low-beam headlight
finally died
and I went to replace it...man, what a horrible design!!!!!  This DIY job
was the most
frustrating of all that I've faced.

Following the Bentley's manual, I found that you need to remove the front
grill and
take out the lens assembly to get at the bulb in the back...The grill was
easy, but
lens assembly removal was a nightmare!  There are 3 plastic "clip
thingys" that you are
supposed to "heat with a heat gun" to allow you to "remove the lens
assembly".
Not at all easy, and I ended up trashing all 3 to get the assembly off so
I could replace
the bulb.

I've checked the FAQ and didn't see anything listed on headlight
replacement...before
my other bulb goes, does anyone have any "tricks" for making this job
easier?

Thanks,

Chuck Huston
chuck.huston@domain.elided