[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E36 M3: Tires

Jim C. asks:

>I'm about to put new wheels and tires on my car...
>
>The wheels are from an M3 CSL, the forged 5-spokes (Thanks Joe U.!!)
>If I remember correctly, the CSL came with the same 235/40R17 MXX3's as
>the "normal" M3 .. even on the 8.5Jx17 rear wheels ..
>
>But NOW, BMW is using 225/45ZR17 on the front and 245/40ZR17 on the rear
>
>Someone who knows .. enlighten me :)
You're correct on both counts. All the Euro versions (coupe, cabrio and
sedan) are now outfitted w/ 225/45 on 7.5" up front, and 245/40 on 8.5" in
rear. And now so is the US version.

I'm no Ayrton Senna, but to me (and my instructor at THill) my car felt
very neutral, and drifted beautifully, running 235/40 ZR17 MXX3's
all-around.

>Any others that you M3 drivers have tried and LIKED ..
>
>I am looking for SERIOUS Dry traction, without being lethal in the wet ..
I really like PZeros, but have them on another car, not my M3 CSL.

Damn, I wanted those wheels for a track set! :-)

HTH,

| Andrew E. Kalman, Ph.D.   aek@domain.elided  |
|        standard disclaimers apply         |