[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

YOKO A032Rs

Did two lapping sessions in the morning with nicely worn BFG R1s and then
two ssessions in the afternoon with brand new,not shaved Yokohoma A032Rs
primarily to heat cycle them. While clearly an R compund tire, it was not
contest betwen the two at this point in the Yoko's life. They were
clearly slower. The real test will come in a month.

If you do not have an aftermarket sport suspension, your best bet is the
BFGs becasue of the extra negative camber you get from the tire. The
Yokos don't do this.

The Yokos are also a directional tire. You have to mount them one way for
the left side and another way for the right side. That means you can only
rotate front to back and not just any corner of the car as you can with
the BFGs.

Tire pressure recommendations are sketchy. Yoko Motorsport suggested to
me using BFG recommendations and then maybe going lower in small
increments.

By the way, I noticed an interesting "contradiction" in comparing BFG and
YOKO recommendations for dealing with understeer. They make opposite
recommendations about balancing front and rear tire pressures. One
recommends higher fronts lower rears, while the other says lower fronts
higher rears.

Does anybody know about tire construction that would make this so?

Phil Abrami
CCA Instructor
88 E30 M3 Club Racer