[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: baked-on water spots

>From: Dale Beuning <dalus@domain.elided>
>  HD Clense didn't phase these deposits, but Meguiar's #9 and Meguiar's #2
>are taking them off 90% of the way, there is still a faint outline
>of some of the deposits.  At this point I'm going to try some more #9
>and see if they polish out.

HD-Cleanse won't work because they are not just water spots from dried
soapy/dirty water, they are probably acid-etched spots from acidic water or
rain.  The materials you find helpful are actually removing clear coat,
micro-fine sandpaper would work well to, but you are loosing paint
thickness and clearcoat protection each time you do this. #9 is fairly
mild, #2 is quite a bit rougher.  If you didn't have clearcoat, you'd see
just how much paint you were removing.  Be careful.  Acid treatment on you
home water system and covered parking are the only real solutions.  As TBN
says, the water spot magnification will make things worse, as will the heat
of buffing if the acid isn't neutralized.  Industrial fallout is even
worse.

- -Phil Marx