[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: <CA> Front lic. plate?

Mike wrote:
 Silly question time -- my new M3 does not have a front license plate
bracket.  At all.  I was under the impression that CA law said that you had
to have a front plate, but only so long as your car is factory equipped to
display one.

My reply:

Mike...

Ca does require a front plate installation, regardless of what the factory
may or may not provide....I believe it is in the area of 5200 of the
vehicle code.  The dealer should provide front plate brackets..why not call
them and ask?  My last two new car purchases (non-BMW) had the bracket kit
in the trunk...  Not installing a front plate IS a violation, and you could
get stopped and cited for it.  Is it a violation that is eligible for
dismissal upon proof of correction (in SOME court jurisdictions in CA, but
NOT all); which usually leads to you installing the plate, getting your
copy of the ticket signed off by a peace officer, and mailing it in with
$10.00 to the court.  But then again..some courts do not allow it, and may
fine you quite a few $$ for the ticket.  Either case, it's alot of hassle
for what is really an insignificant issue.

Regards,
Jeffrey
BMW ACA
BMW CCA