[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:535i brake light warning

I had this problem on my '91 E34.  The warning light would come on once
in a
couple of months, keep coming on for a couple of days, then go away by
itself
after I checked and did indeed see the brake light working.  The last
time it
did this the brake light really was not working.  I took the bulb
out and noted that the lead connection at the bottom was seriously
flattened on
an angle, so I rotated it 180 degrees and put it back in.  I also
cleaned up the
bulb and socket in case there was some corrosion.  It still didn't
work.  I put
a brand new bulb in and it works perfectly now.  Wish I had tried the
simple
solution first since getting to the bulbs is a bit of a pain in my car.
The
filament must have broken but made contact enough to work and the
computer saw
the increased resistance and tried to warn me before the bulb quit
completely.
I hate it when the car is smarter than I am.  (although I love my ABS)

>      I have a 535i (90') Recently I have started having a failure in my
>  right rear brake lights
>  and I cosntantly get this "1 Brake Light" warning on my OBC display.
>  I used to have this problem intermittently earlier and it used to go away
>  after afew minutes (or when I restarted the car). But now it stays on all
>  the time (And yes the tail light does indeed not funtion). Any ideas where
>  this apparent "graceful degradation" to borrow a S/W engr. term might be
>  coming from ??

- --
Pat Donahue
Vienna, VA