[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V5 #74

>>     The smog laws in California are becoming more strict. The new program,
>>dubbed "Smog Check 2" will use dynamometers run by the company "Envirotest".
>>This program will make it EXTREMELY DIFFICULT for the average auto on the
>>road to pass the test---upto 60% of the autos tested will fail the test.
>>There will no longer be exemptions for ANY VEHICLE---including older,
>>classic, or collectors cars.

I was listening to a forum on NPR about this the other day. If it's the same
program that they were talking about, and I think it is, then there are a
couple of things that should be pointed out.

First, the standard that cars are held to is the emissions standard for the
year the car was made. Older cars will not be held to newer standards.

Second, cars prior to 1967 (or something close to that) are completely exempt.

- --Neil