[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: CD Changer Jam

     I had this happen on my Sony 10-Disc changer.  Before I tell you how I
did it the first time I'll give you a short cut to try.  Open the door on
the changer, push and hold the cartridge one direction while pressing the
cartridge eject button.  If this doesn't work push it an opposite way and
try ejecting.  If it worked you saved yourself a hassle, if it didn't you
only wasted a minute.
     If the changer wants to be stubborn remove it from its mounting
brackets by removing the four or so screws (Do not remove the brackets and
changer, just the changer).  Oh yeah, unplug any cable connections before
hand.  Now that it is out of the car, there should be some screws holding
the plastic housing onto the internal frame of the changer.  They will
probably have little arrows cast into the plastic pointing at them.  Use
common sense to remove the ones that appear to hold the housing on.  Once
you gain access to the inside of the unit, you should be able to see the
disc that is in use.
     In my case the disc was half loaded unloaded.  I was able to CAREFULLY
use a screwdriver to push the disc mostly back into the cartridge.  I then
took the unit out to the car, hooked the cable to it, and pressed the eject
button.  The cartridge ejected successfully.
     I then brought the unit back in, reassembled it and remounted it in the
car.  I found that slot three on my cartridge repeatedly jammed.  Buying a
new cartridge solved the problem.  I guess six years of heavy usage had
gotten to it.
     During the repeated jamming is when I tried holding the cartridge while
ejecting to save myself the hassle of removing the unit again.  I recommend
trying this several times first.  Good luck.

Any one have any stories about convertibles (praises or otherwise) that they
would like to share with me as I look to buy a convertible (BMW of course).

     Maximum Payne  (Lover of all cars German . . . except audi)

'87 Jetta  Wolfsberg Edition  112k miles