[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[none]

>From: "Larry Seiden" <lseiden@domain.elided>
>Date: 5 Aug 1996 14:58:11 -0700
>Subject: <MISC> Elvis' 507 on the block
>
>Friends,
>
>According to the San Jose Mercury News, A bone-colored BMW 507 once owned by
>Elvis Presley will be up for auction at the Monterey (CA) Sports & Classic Car
>Auction on Aug 16th.  Elvis bought the auto on Dec 20, 1958 and drove it
>before entering the Army.  The original owner was Hans Struck, the German
>racer, who raced it in competition.  After Elvis, the car belonged to actress
>Ursula Andress.  It does not say who is the present owner is.
>
>It is expected to go between $250,000 and $300,000.
>
>See ya in Monterey
>
>Larry Seiden
>95 M3 not on the block yet

My understanding of the Elvis saga is that BMW gave him a 507 to use while
in Germany in the service.  When he was sent stateside, he declined the
offer to take the 507 with him.  That car is still owned by BMW and I saw
it 15 years ago displayed in the Munich museum with an Elvis mannequin
standing next to it.  The next part of the tale involves Elvis trying to
"get into Ursula's pants", as it was stated to me, and he sent her a 507.
It apparently didn't work and she didn't use the car.  I also recall this
car having an American V8 installed at some point.  I have been told this
car was recently owned by Mark Smith (ex. Old Philadelphia Motorcar Co.?/
currently White House Motors), a well known collector/seller and supposedly
stored in his barn not 30 miles from where I live.  I suppose it's possible
that two Elvis stories have merged over time, and somewhere in the middle
is the real true story. We need Barry McMillian or possibly T.B.Nast for
help on this fable.

- -Phil Marx  BMWCCA #6021