[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

GM transmissions

>The GM TH 400R4, 4L60E and 4L80E automatics are widely respected in >the industry for more than just Cadillac shift characteristics -  ;-))  - >(e.g., reliability,integration with engine management controls, choice of >shift modes, etc)

Do you remember the 80's?  When GM continuesly made a bunch of
unreliable automatics?  TheTHM 400R4  which was the" new and
improved"  THM700R4(the original bomb) and now the 4L60E  which is
the  THM400R4 with ECU controls. This particular design was dropped on
the American public in 1982 and it took  GM  10  years to build in the
reliability(1992).
Is GM somehow better in Europe?
Is this the new "now we will be reliable" GM ?

I suspect the real issue is a cost savings here as far as BMW AG goes.
ZF should have resolved the durability issues by 1993 in  the 4hp22/24
but, the cost was higher .

Sincerly

henri baccouche
los angeles