[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

smog?

Re:

>My brother has an 85 Ford ranger truck w/ about 155,000 miles...just
>flunked the smog...apparently his replacement catalytic converter failed
>in just a year (prob running too rich), so when they tested the car it
>went high on co2 and o2 , and god(the other one,not on the list) knows
>what else.  Anyway, they had already hooked up to the smog computer, so
>it call the vehicle a gross polluter, and apparently my brother has only
>a few alternatives...
>
>...take truck to junk yard
>...trade truck to dealer
>...keep truck 5 years, testing the smog every year
>
>if he sells the truck, he will still be liable for five years for any
>smog related problems that come up...

A question, and a comment:

Question: Does he have to re-test at a referee station, or is his
neighborhood smog test station OK?

Comment (Apologies to the list): Assuming what you wrote is correct, he
should be consider becoming POLITICALLY ACTIVE ... I suggest he write his
representative, go to the protest at the Capital, etc. ... if people stand
by aimlessly these laws will get much, much worse, without any measurable
gain to the environment.

CARB (California Air Resources Board, aka "The Smog Police") is now
completely out of control.

| Andrew E. Kalman, Ph.D.   aek@domain.elided  |
|        standard disclaimers apply         |