[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ABS....

>From: "Alberto SCHILEO, DCC/USD" <Alberto.SCHILEO@domain.elided>
>Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 14:16:00 +0100 (MET)
>Subject: RE: ABS

>As a side note, I think it would be difficult to stop in a light rain while
>trying to pump the break oh so lightly so that you can continue to steer...

	Then maybe you should stay home when it rains.  ABS is nothing
but a half assed attempt to elevate the majority of drivers from
pathetic to merely miserable.  If it is slippery and you think that
you may have trouble controlling the car, then SLOW DOWN !
All ABS and air bags do is contribute to the "red mist" that most drivers
experience at one time or another.  But with the extra technology
they think they can go even faster because ABS can somehow (in their
minds) change the laws of physics to stop a car nearly instantly.
With air bags, they think "Oh well, the car is insured and I'll live.
So why not go for 125 mph between stoplights."

	Nothing is a worthwhile substitute for knowing the limits of
your car and yourself.  And if you have ABS and run off the road,
you better hope that air bag will save you.  ABS has no value in
preventing collisions and usually increases the amount of property
damage that occurs.  Why do you think that insurance companies (in
the US at least) are no longer reducing premiums for ABS cars ??

Whew!	I feel much better now.

Jeff  (who's 25, bought, works on, and appreciates his non-ABS 325is)