[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

540i a....trannie problems?

I have a friend w/ a 94 540i automatic and 58,000 miles whose
transmission just failed.  Fortunately for him he had purchased an
extended warranty which will cover this.  My question to you folks is, do
the auto trans on this car have a problem, or is he just one of the
unlucky few?
The extended warranty had a clause that allowed the use of used equipment
as replacement parts, so Peter Pan found a transmission ($8000 price
quote!!!!!)that supposedly had 20,000 miles on it and installed it in my
friends car.
If it makes any difference, this car was a manufacturers car and
consequently was not registered until my friend took possession w/ about
30,000 miles.  I am assuming that BMW would have provided all required
maintenance during that period.  I say assume, b/c they have not yet
provided all maintenance/service records for this vehicle.

As a side note, you 328i owners should be happy, Peter Pan gave them a
courtesy 328i for the 2 weeks it took to fix their 540i, and both the
husband and wife were about ready to tell them to keep the 540i, on a
straight trade.

- --
john
'87  325 136k (Dinan Chip, Racing Dynamics springs/Billstein shocks)
'94  318i 18k
http://www.hooked.net/users/johnt/bmw.html