[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<700> Older sportcoupe

>From: S Lampman <slampman@domain.elided>
>Looking for some information on an older BMW sportcope.
>
>My Dad had a little 2-door BMW sportcoupe that he brought back from
>Europe after a US Navy tour of duty about 1964/65.  The car was new
>then.  It was a very small vehicle and was powered by a BMW air-cooled
>twin-cylinder motorcycle engine (750cc as I recall).  It was a regular
>looking little coupe (as opposed to the rather different looking
>Isetta).
>
>Might anybody have an idea as to the model of this car and/or the
>whereabouts of any information or photos?
>
>Thanks much,
>Les Lampman
>slampman@domain.elided

Les,
    Most likely it was a 700.  It came as a coupe, sedan and cabriolet.
Engine was 700cc twin of either 30 or 40 hp depending on whether or not it
was an "s" model.  I just got back (10 mins. ago!) from a drive in one of
my 700s Cabrios, took it out for its first inspection in two years, in
preparation for driving it to Oktoberfest next week.  This one is about to
turn 12,000 miles, original. Information is all over the place, the Micro
Mini Car Club, BMW history books, and a Roundel article by Bill Siuru.  A
700 post card set is available from BMP in Tyler, TX. 800 648-7278, whose
owner, Al Hafner, is completing restoration of a 700 Cab right about now.
Enjoy.

- -Phil Marx  BMWCCA #6021