[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Smog rules protest in CA

Please let us all know how this is going.  Also, I must say that I am not
optimistic about stopping these programs nation wide.  We fought one off in
NY recently by defeating Mario Cuomo for governor.  Folks in NJ fought one off
for a while about a year or so ago.  However, the thing is that any of these
successes will only be temporary so long as the 1990 Clean Air Act remains
on the books and the current EPA stays in place.  Sorry to have to get political
on this issue, but simply put, if the November election goes as the current
polls indicate that it will, there will be no change to this course for air
quality through these types of inspections.  Sooner or later (at least in
populous states) these regs will come into play.  Even though I don't own
an older car currently, I too am concerned as everyone should be, if just for
the fear of having a dyno test performed on my car by an untrained operator
(consider that most states, when enacting these new laws, included clauses
freeing them from any liability due to damage done during the test.  Maybe
someone could report if this in in the CA law).  Another big problem here is
that on this issue it is almost impossible to educate the increasingly
ignorant electorate to what is going on here.  They only hear the words
"repeal the clean air laws" in the same sentence as "medicate cuts" from
the media, and they freak out and immediately take the liberal side on the
issue.  Good luck out there, you'll need it.  Also, does anyone know if
there are any states that you ca register your car in just by having a Mail
Boxes Etc. address?  I've heard that Nevada and Oregon are pretty lax about
this.  This may be the future for some of us...