[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ABS

Ira Eisenstein <iraeise@domain.elided> writes:

>Hopefully I will not be considered smug or worse for asking this, but
>considering that we are all (I hope!) reasonably competent drivers, why
>do we need ABS braking?

We probably need ABS for those few times that we are not completely aware.
ABS has saved my life at least four times. On one occassion, I saw a stop
sign as I was passing it at about 40 mph. It had been covered by tree
branches. A large tractor trailer was comng from my left, hidden by trees.
ABS stopped my 535i in a ungodly small distance. I don't think I would have
been able to do threshold braking and stop in time. The truck missed me by
a foot, not even slowing down, since he didn't see me either. Other times I
have gone into a downhill curve, and found at the last second that it was
partially covered by ice. Solution was both feet in, and steer. And it
worked. Brain fade? Sure.

>If you are driving in a fog (mental, not atmospheric) and only wake up
>when you hear the sound of crunching metal or screeching tires and all
>you can think of is to stomp on the brake as hard as you can, I suppose
>ABS helps.
>If you are awake and aware as you drive (which we all are, aren't we?),
>and some higher brain function activity is taking place, wouldn't you
>know not to mash the brake pedal as tho you were going to score extra
>points for pushing it through the floor?

No one is completely awake and aware at all times, and sometimes the higher
brain function is at work on something other than driving. Worse yet is the
driver (usually in a Buick) who sees an emergency situation ahead and just
freezes. We refer to this reaction as "too stupid to think." Perhaps front
bumper radar could automatically be installed on cars of drivers who
qualify, and this would automatically trigger the ABS and airbags before
collision.

>Why would you want some computer device connected to some mechanical
>device, either of which could head south at any time deciding what your
>wheels are going to do (stop or not stop)?

The computer device can react faster than I can. The half-second difference
can be life-saving. If it breaks, I am back to solely mechanical means,
which, in a BMW, is not so bad.

>I don't want some device making decisions on my behalf.  If you don't
>want to skid, don't push the brake pedal so hard.  Is that a news flash
>to anyone?

It probably is a news flash to the majority of drivers, who are not
enthusiasts, and/or do not drive BMW's. In high school driving classes,
most of which do not have actual driving of a car as part of the course,
students are taught to pump the brakes. Threshold braking is implied, but
if you have never been taught how to do it, your reaction might be to nail
the brakes, release, and nail them again, as you go spinning in circles.

>Similarly, if you wear your seat belt and shoulder belt, why do you
>need an exploding steering wheel or dashboard so you can't see where
>you're going?

Never having activated the air bag, I don't know from experience, but
doesn't the bag deflate rather rapidly? My wife's E39 obscures side vision
as well :-)

>Am I the only one who feels this way?

Probably not. Thanks for your concern.

Ephraim Fithian     fithian@domain.elided
http://www.kutztown.edu/~fithian/
92 E36 325i 5-speed 80k,  97 E39 528i 5-speed 1k.
Previous 78 530i 5-speed 192k, 84 318i 5-speed 18k,
85 535i 5-speed 117k, 95 530i 5-speed 24k.
BMWCCA 14040, NMA member, Macintosh user.
Wishing to contact any list members living along the route of our upcoming
tour of WI, MN, ND, SD, WY, MT, Alberta, BC, WA, OR, UT, CO, KS, mid-August
to end-September. And motor tour of Australia, end-October to mid-December.