[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> Hot clutch shudder

Saw your post on the digest, tried your email address but it bounced.

You are the proud possesor of a classic case of hot clutch shudder,
first time I've heard of it on a 325i, normally only occurs on the M42
1800 DOHC engine.

~1993 BMW replaced the clutch lining with a non-asbestos substitute.
This can give the shudder you describe if the clutch overheats around
town driving. Rumour has it a fix is available but I've even heard of
1995 cars with the problem.

It is a KNOWN problem and is not related to clutch age. One guy had it
with only 15K miles! I had it on my E30 318iS twice and my E36 318iS
three times, latest last Friday. Probably a warranty claim.
- --
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your
mouth in a meeting with the users and prove it." (Ancient programming proverb)

NB: As I am a gibberring idiot any views expressed here are NOT the views
of Stolt Comex Seaway Ltd. john@domain.elided, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland