[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E36 M3's devoured + E30 shock mount Thank you

Hi guys, some gossip for you, but first for those who so kindly helped me
with ideas on my broken shock mount, thank you, I was about to can the
digest, and stick to the FAQ's, but I'll stay.

" The Wolfman II " is back on the road. After I took it to the panelbeaters,
and we had removed the carpeting around the shock, we could see that if you
wiggled it, it moved a hell of a lot. We jacked the car up, and took off the
wheel. We then jacked the strut up so that the shock was in a "normal"
position. From inside the wheel arch, you can see a sort of upside down
U-shaped plate where the shock enetrs the boot. If we wiggled the shock, the
whole plate in the wheel arch moved quite a bit. After much mig/spot welding
( very neat ), the plate was secure, and we could paint a waterproof coat of
rubberised sealant over it. Inside the boot, we didn't repair the sheet
metal as it is so thin, but sealed it with a water-proof/rustproof coat of
????. I am pleased to say we got away with it ( touch wood ) at a relatively
small cost, R300, approx $65 ??, and it isn't noticeable, except for the new
paint in the arch, which you can't see unless you take the wheel off anyway.
Thanks for your help guys.

Now for some very sad news. I went to some "street drags", and was quite
upset to see my dream car, the one and only M3, be devoured by, of all
things ...... a FORD !!!!!!!!!! Two guys rocked up in M3's, I guess you
could say they were young and arrogant ( like me), and raced over a piece of
road say 1km. The guy who won, pulled over and showed us that he had fitted
Nitrous to his car, and I must say it gave the stock M3 quite a hiding. But
then, a quite reserved FORD man arrived, and in South Africa, there are some
nasty FORD's, and owner's !!. We have a  saying, one litre brandy, two litre
coke, and three litre FORD. Anyway, his car was a FORD Capri, and it sounded
okay, not too noisy. He persuaded the two M3 owners ( one stock + one with
Nitrous ) to race him. The crowd, some 500 strong laughed, and placed bets.
Lets just say that the FORD came past, sounding like it was hardly even
working, with the two M3's trailing by a good 80-100m on a 1km strip. the
guy in the FORD apparently clocked a 11.6 at a quarter mile meet recently !!
A lot of money was lost that evening. BUT, the M3's got nailed again, and
someone forked out a lot of money, when he said that if this "bakkie" ( LDV
like a blazer )beat his M3, he would buy it on the spot. The FORD
Bantam/Rustler has a 2.0L Ford Laser motor, with a turbo, and nitrous. The
M3 owner ( stock) bought the bakkie on the spot. He later clocked a terminal
speed of 276 km/h on an 800m strip recently.

Beware all you YOUNG, ARROGANT BMW owners, there are some reall fast FORDS
out there. Sure they may have the top end, but they don't have the luxury,
reliability, style ........ etc, plus I would like to see that motor start
first time, even run with 250k on the clock !!!

Darren
DARREN HILDER
RATT-Pac International
5th Floor                                            Tel (27 11) 836 4181
11 Diagonal Street                                   Fax (27 11) 836 0369
Johannesburg                                         E-mail : darren@domain.elided
2000                            \|/
South Africa                    @ @