[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ABS

Hi Digesters.
A QUESTION:
Hopefully I will not be considered smug or worse for asking this, but
considering that we are all (I hope!) reasonably competent drivers, why
do we need ABS braking?

If you are driving in a fog (mental, not atmospheric) and only wake up
when you hear the sound of crunching metal or screeching tires and all
you can think of is to stomp on the brake as hard as you can, I suppose
ABS helps.

If you are awake and aware as you drive (which we all are, aren't we?),
and some higher brain function activity is taking place, wouldn't you
know not to mash the brake pedal as tho you were going to score extra
points for pushing it through the floor?

Why would you want some computer device connected to some mechanical
device, either of which could head south at any time deciding what your
wheels are going to do (stop or not stop)?
I don't want some device making decisions on my behalf.  If you don't
want to skid, don't push the brake pedal so hard.  Is that a news flash
to anyone?

Similarly, if you wear your seat belt and shoulder belt, why do you
need an exploding steering wheel or dashboard so you can't see where
you're going?

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Ira Eisenstein
72 2002 tii