[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

2002 CA smog rules

>I found a good deal on a '72 2002 in Michigan but i'm concerned about
>meeting smog regulations when i return to CA later this month. I'm not
>really familiar with CA smog regulations so i'd appreciate any information
>i could get. I am also considering a '76 and I understand the rules are
>more stringent for the post '75 vehicles- TRUE? In particular, i was
>wondering how soon i would have to face inspection after bringing the car
>to CA and how much I could expect to pay to get it smog equipped. i was
>told that basically none of the smog equipment is in place right now.
>
>BTW, the cars are currently CA registered.

 John....
If the cars are CA registered now, how did they meet smog regs?  I'm
confused about that.
But anyway, a story about a 2002 I had....

I bought a 72 2002 (not a tii) in 1975, and following the old adage
that any used car by definition needs a tuneup, brought it to a place
that specialized in German cars.  They charged me a suitably exorbitant
price and tuned my car.  After getting this tuneup, I noticed that I
was only getting 18 MPG, far less than the 26 I had gotten in the 1600
I had previously owned.
I returned, indignant, to the mechanic and protested.
He asked me what year the car was (you'd think he would remember), and
when I said a 72, replied that it was all that anti-pollution junk it
had.
I asked what could be done, and he suggested I plug half the hoses
(exhaust gas recirc, air-pump backpressure into the exhaust manifold,
etc) and he would retune it.
He plugged the hoses, disconnected the air compressor, and when he gave
it back to me, it ran far better and got 24 MPG, which later on came up
the expected 26 after a clutch and pressure plate was replaced.  Not
only that, but it passed New York inspection for smog without any smog
devices at all.

The moral of the story is that unless they will confiscate your car on
sight for failing smog test, take a shot at seeing if it will pass as
is.  Or even remove the smog crap it has now and get it tuned REALLY
WELL.  If it burns its fuel completely and efficiently in the first
place, less will come out the tailpipe than if it is choking on its
fuel bcz of smog devices hampering it's combustion.
Alternatively, you might consider an electronic ignition, and hotter
running plugs for it.  That might give it a hotter more consistent
spark and improve combustion as well, not to mention performance.

Ira Eisenstein
72 2002 tii
63 Tbird Sports Roadster
89 Tbird