[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DialSpace Form Submission

>Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 00:22:58
>To: Nick Hill <njh@domain.elided>
>From: sean murray <snmurray@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: DialSpace Form Submission
>
>At 21:10 30/07/96 +0100, you wrote:
>>At 19:08 30/07/96 GMT, you wrote:
>>325 K-Jet Schrick Cam,  Lowered, Sport Konis, 5-Speed Sport GB,  15"BBS
>>205/50 rear, 195/50 front,  why won't it go round corners?  Want info on
>>Alpina ,Schnitzer etc suspension mods
>>>
>>Hi Sean
>>
>>I tried for a year with 195/50/16 on the front & 205/50/16 on the back on my
>>Alpina 7J 16 wheels. If you think about it though, the smaller fronts are
>>encouraging understeer... is that your problem? (I now have 205/50/16 all
>>round.)
>>The Alpina suspension on my 333i Turbo is great. I also use Yokohama AVS-I
>>tyres.
>>
>>Regards
>>Nick
>>Internet: njh@domain.elided
>>Compuserve: 100276,1656
>>Web Page: http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/njh/index.html
>>
>>Hi Nick
>
>Thanks for your comments,  however I think I gave the wrong impression when
I said the car doesn't go round corners,  perhaps I should have said it goes
round only too well!  Being more specific,  the car understeers initially;
then as it starts to come round,  the rear end just seems to float out in
very unsettling oversteer,  which can be controlled at low speeds,  but is
something else on very fast downhill curves.(definitely not to be tried in
the wet !)  It is this oversteer which I would like to eliminate.  By the
way the tyres are Dunlop D40s,  they stick like glue,  but I've never used
Yokohamas.  From what I have read in the BMW digest,  am I correct in
understanding that E21 323s were not widely sold in the US ?  I also have
read that the Swedish Traffic Authorities gave the 323 a hard time because
of its treacherous cornering,  I hope to follow up and find out more about
this.  I believe that the increased rear suspension camber and toe-in
resulting from 40mm lowering contribute to the problem,  I have ordered
offset rear mounting bushes to restore morew parallel geometry and hopefully
diminish this effect.  I have also been advised that Bilstein gas filled
shocks work wonders for this transient cornering condition,  I'd like some
confirmation before I dump my set of Koni Sports.

>Also very interested to rread in the Digest re the rear shock turrets
breaking away.  My BMW dealer pointed out this type of cracking at my last
annual main dealer check.  The crack was so small I suspected that he knew
what to look for
>beforehand.  It seems to be a common type fault.
>
>Very interesting to read about how things are in the US(different from
Ireland,  for sure),  very scarce contributions from Germany/mainland
Europe,  there must be a wealth of experience there somewhere.