[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<e30> HELP! stranded with electrical problem

Stef
I had an almost IDENTICAL problem on a 1800-mile trip this Spring. I wasn't
electronic. It was gas-starved. There was just enough gas coming through to
get it to start and run for several seconds. What tipped me off was that
every time it started it ran for fewer seconds. I disconnected the gas line
at the filter (just forward of the left rear wheel by the jack point) and
tried to run it. No gas spurted out. After I swapped the relay and it still
didn't do anything, I got a new pump ($230, arrgh!) and I was in business.

If your symptom is similar (have spark, but less time running after every
start) I'd check fuel delivery. Since I did it all myself, I can give you a
lot more detail if you like, Stef, just email me off line.

- -Chat, Terre Haute, Ind. '90 325is  '68 R50US

P.S. Related to this I have a horror story re: Parts Dept. at John Roberts
BMW in Dallas, and how they jerked me around for not carrying my CCA
membership card. But I'll save  that for another time. Any one on this list
deal with JR-BMW (Dallas) ? -c