[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ZF4hp22 and the GM THM r1 transmissions

I would be interested in hearing about any  ZF 4hp22
transmission failures experienced. I became interested in this issue when I
was considering a used BMW with automatic and while researching  the
issue found that the ZF 4hp22 was routinely failing at  about 80 to 130 k
miles.(typical used car mileage)
                    In addition , the  transmission is prone to burn the " A" clutch
if the engine is held to a high idle in N or Park for more than 90 seconds.
This could easily happen if the car is improperly serviced or smog tested
in California.
This sort of damage is impossible to perceive in the limited inspection
opportunity that is possible when  looking at used cars.
               Long story short, I have little confidence any used BMW with this
transmission and would consider the purchase only with the expectation
of replacing the transmission at some point.
                IMHO, GM (the mark of excellence?) has been not been
particularily reliable or reputable with their automatics .
(the front or rear wheel drive ones made in the US and Mexico.)
                 The  THM r1 is probably an OPEL transmission made in
GERMANY. (dont really know yet) BMW probably abandoned the ZF4hp22
because it has been problematic for a long time. (It certainly appears this
way  from the  service  bulletin 1985 - 1993 )

Opposing views and facts  encouraged.........

Sincerely,
henri