Subj:    <E30><M3> driveline shake
Date:    96-08-02 21:29:48 EDT
From:    PARTYMK

To:      owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided

For a friend who usually can figure anything out:  1989 M3 with driveline
shake under hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear.  Car has new center
bearing and flex disk.  All u-joints and drive shaft look very good, are not
bent, and are not tight.  Car has new transmission mounts and springs and sub
frame are good with new bushings.  Any ideas before he pulls his hair out?

He offers the folowing advice for the person asking about 320 5 speeds in a
2002.  You need to shorten the driveshaft at the front by 3.5 inches.  He did
not but the idea on upgrading flex disk as the 2002 one, he feels, holds up
just as well and is much cheaper.  The shifter bracket needs to be shortened
3.5 inches also and the shift tube 3 inches.  He says the transmission mount
is very easy to fabricate by cutting, drilling, and welding a nut onto a
piece of 1" angle iron.  Make sure that the alignment angle 'looks good' to
get the right placement.  Any questions, please let me know and I will pass
them on.  He will join us soon as he has a new computer.

Regards,

Ken Partymiller
'91 M5
'87 325iS club racer