[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ZF 4 hp 22 automatic transmission

I'm abit concern about this posting 'cause I've got this automatic
transmission in my 86 325es. Even though I had acquired this car 2 years
ago with 90k miles, I have not had any problems (so far). In another
earlier posting there was discussion on failures at 60k-80k miles. Will I
be seeing repair bills soon? I hope not.

My only complaint of this ZF 4 hp 22 automatic transmission is the gear
ratio for 1st and 2nd. The initial acceleration is slow, its as if I'm
starting off in 2nd gear of a manual transmission. I'm actually thinking of
swapping out the diff from a 2.93 ratio to 3.45. This get me better
acceleration although takes some away from the overdrive 4th gear. Any
comments out there on this swap? I've heard others have swapped in a diff
with 3.73 ratio and the engine is rev'ed abit high at highway speeds,
~2800rpms @ 70mph. The 3.45 ratio would bring the rpms down to about
2600rpm @ 70mph.

Leon; 86 325es Dinan