[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Assorted <e28>, oil, coolant, leather, and commentary

Some of these questions are certainly repeats of previously discussed
topics, but I just haven't had time go through and read the hundred
or so messages from the digest in my mailbox.  Apologies.

I've heard rumors that using synth oil (Mobil 1) on an older
engine (160K) that has had dino oil all its life can cause problems.
Is there anything to that rumor?  I've always had great success
with Mobil 1 in my other cars and I'd like to start using it in my
'85 535i.

I recently replaced the radiator and I used regular Zerex
containing phosphate.  Am I really running a major corrosion risk if
I flush the system every year or so?  What's the best other than
the liquid gold (aka bmw coolant)?  Does Zerex make a phosphate-
free coolant?

The leather is starting to dry, and I recall one of the concours experts
posting something about Sufflex?  I'm not sure if I've spelled that right,
but it's supposed to return the leather to its original supple (hydrated)
state.  Where can I get that stuff?  I'm already using lexol...

My tachometer jumps up sometimes when I'm accelerating, and I've
been told that a worn cap and rotor can cause this.  Is there anything
else that I should be aware of, or is replacing those a best bet for a fix?

I'm going to replace the rotors and pads soon, and I'm wondering if there's
a good performance/street setup that's worth the money.  Are cool
carbon's just for track?  I'm not planning on racing anywhere except
to work.  Also, are the Dinan (or other) caliper kits worth it if I'm
not racing?

I've got a bit of a engine surge when accelerating, and I think my O2
sensor may be going.  I'm going to disconnect the control box (to reset
the memory) and hope that this helps.  Any suggestions of other
strategies?

And finally I wanted to throw in my $.02 about young (and presumably
spoiled) fancy car drivers.  When I was in HS in Dallas, at one of
the private prep schools there (on scholarship), there were a lot
of kids driving  cars that were worth as much as my parent's house.
For sport, some friends (public schoolers) and I would occassionally
chase down one of these "fancy lads" (typically on a Friday night
cruising Forest Lane) and (if the circumstances were right) we'd
clobber the snot out of them and any passengers willing to tangle.
Yea, it was stupid, mean, and illegal.  But hey, it sure was fun.
And it appealed to our sense of cosmic balance.  There is a price
for everything.

Thanks for any advice on the above questions, and happy motoring!

Nick

Only reason can convince us of those three fundamental truths without
a recognition of which there can be no effective liberty: that what we
believe is not necessarily true; that what we like is not necessarily
good; and that all questions are open. - Clive Bell