[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V5 #62

>Excuse my lack of mechanical terms, but the
>"cylinder" through which the shock enters the boot, is tearing/cracking away
>from the body work, and if I grab the top of the shock shaft, I can wiggle
>it side to side (approx 5mm each side), and see how the metal on either side
>of the shock is moving .

 I think I had the same problem on my '94 325is mit sport package with
30,000mi.  This happened after I got back from Watkins Glen - 2 days with
me in intermediate and  my son in beginners. I also autox. I say think
because I didn't peel all that rug stuff off the inside of my trunk to
actually see it. I wish it were like th front so I could see it readily.
 That is the way my mechanic described it. Luckily this was replaced
under  warrenty. At first I thought the thumping noise was my trailor
hitch that I had not taken off but not so.  When I came in he immediately
knew what the trouble was and said he saw it  sometimes on cars that were
 "well used like mine".
 BTW is it driving anyone else crazy the Bently has no manual for the
E36. All my haynes manual says is see your dealer this is too har for
you. I have owned a  Bently  for every car since my 1960 MGA and I miss
the ability to trouble shoot my own car. This is my first BMW and I don't
know them like I knew my VWs. I don't think the microfisch would cut it
for those of us that have enquiring minds but don't want to do the actual
work. I want to know about my car but I am no longer at the stage of life
where I have to work on a car so I can get home ;)

Holly McReynolds
BMW 325is
SCCA WNY region- BMW CCA Genesee
"I will walk where my own nature will be leading; it vexes me to choose
another guide"- E. Bronte.