[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(misc) Speed Limits

I used to live in Mississippi but its been years so I can't comment on their
enforcement.  A year ago, when driving thru southern MS, I was pulled over by
a local on the interstate.  I was exceeding the legal limit.  When I rolled
the window down and he saw me, not some spoiled college kid, he asked me where
we were going and bid me a good evening.  I would like to think it was
southern hospitality.

Check out this months Car and Driver for the scoop on the NHTSA's views of
speed and safety.  Government IS a scary thing.

On a different note, I recently made a quick trip (read: long trip) thru
Nebraska and Wyoming to Logan, Utah this week.  Ran 80+ all the way and pushed
it up a bit on the lonely stretches of US 30 in SW Wyoming.  A Wyoming State
Trooper cruised up to the tail at one point to check out the Auburn University
License Plate and then went away.  Otherwise, No contact.

Made the run in the '86 325e which turned 150K on the trip.  Got 28-30 mpg and
the car never broke a sweat.  So... believe what you will, I choose to believe
in BMW.

As an aside, if you ever have the chance to drive US 30/89 from Wyoming to
Bear Lake down to Logan, Utah, take it.  It's a beautiful drive filled with
long lonesome straight stretches followed by up and down mountain twisties
that provide a beautiful view of Bear Lake on the Utah/Idaho state line.
Definitely and "E" ticket in a Bimmer.

Bob Duckworth