[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Late model 318 1.8 and 1.9 engines

Henri,

I too live in a "stop and go city": Houston. I've never driven a 4 cyl. car
that I didn't prefer the manual transmission over the automatic. Maybe
that's just my driving style, but the auto saps too much power.

However, if your commute would be an awlful one with a stick, the 1.9L (not
rated any higher in HP) is going to offer sigificantly more torque... the
low end grunt that makes you feel like you're moving.

Don't worry too much about mileage (that is, if you're considering the E36
body). Concern yourself most with the service record and try to get to know
the previous owner's driving habits. These multivalve engines don't even
get going till around 35K miles.

Most of all, don't forget to make your search fun.

- --michael alexander
  93 318is Calypso
  93 318i Alpine