[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

The 4HP22 4 speed auto lockup torque converter was fitted to the E28 5
series from about 1983 to 1986/7 and the same years for the E23 7
series.
There isn't anything you can do to check if the work has been done apart
from talking to the previous owner(s) or checking logbooks and receipts.
 You cant pull the sump to see anything because the problem is right inside
the box.  Its a wearing of a bushing which seals the torque converter to the
first clutch pack.  This warn bush allowed oil pressure to be released from
the torque converter and into the clutch pack - thus creating premeature
wear of the clutch.
If you cant determine the history of the car, then there is a fair chance
the work has been done if the car has covered more than say 140,000 klm
(60-80,000 miles), because they all seemed to fail around that time.
This depends of course on driving conditions like more city stop/start than
highway miles, and remember our cars here in OZ are all Euro spec which
canbe slightly different to the US models.

BTW these trannys were supplied by ZF and fitted to Range Rovers, some
Volvos and to some Peugeots.

Hope this helps

Steve Callaghan
BMW Club Queensland Australia

Dear Steve,
My appreciation runneth over........thank you for responding so quickly.
The disturbing thing I have found is that the rebuild of the 4hp22 is not a
true fix, merely replacement of the burned out parts. It seems as though
the problem will return in  60-80k miles. Is  this right?

Sincerely,
henri baccouche