[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Fighting a ticket,a math problem

Well I have been fighting my speeding ticket for several months and the trial
is comming up now on Monday. I am now looking for advice/ideas on what to do
in the hearing.
To refresh every ones mind this is the back round on what happened. At about
10pm I was heading home from a BMW club meeting in the M635. I came to a
section of freeway where their were no cars and a couple of times I droped
down into 3rd gear accelerated up to the top of it and shifted into fourth.
Shortly after that when I was going about 80mph a CHP car came up behind me
at high speed with flashing lights on. He pulled me over and wrote me a
ticket for 105+ mph. He did not get me with radar but in his words he said "I
had to do 105 to catch you".
     Well I got a lawer and tried to plea bargain it. The lawer said he
struck a plea bargain with the asistant DA but the judge would not accept it.
So its going to trial Monday. I have taken pictures of the area where it
happened and we are going to see if we can raise doubt as to how the cop
paced me and attained my speed. We are also going to try to get him to repeat
his statement about having to go 105mph to catch me and then reason that if
he had to go 105mph I would have had to be going slower or else he would have
never caught me. I have maped out the whole area and measured the distance
between different land marks. I would like to get the cop to  make a
statement about where he started folowing me and how fast he was going then
prove him mathimatically wrong. The question is what formula would I use to
figure out how long (in time or distance) it would take for him to catch me
assuming I am going what ever speed he states and he is going what ever speed
he states? In other words if car A (me) is going Xmph and car B (the cop) is
going Ymph, when and how far down the road will the cars meet? If he started
from a stop I could also assume that it took at least 26 seconds and over 1/4
to reach 100mph based on specs for his Crown Victoria.
      Also I was wondering if anyone remebers seeing a magizine test on a
Crown Victoria police car. My lawer is also trying to find it braking
distance from 100mph. That way if the cop lies and says he was following me
at 105mph the whole way then we can come back at him and show it was
impossible for his car to pull me over in as short a distance as he did. Also
I would like to find out the Police Spec Crown Vics top speed in case he says
he had to go faster than 105mph.
      Any other advice for what to do in court would be appreciated. If I can
prove he did not get me at over 100mph the judge can't suspend my liscense.

thanks,

Juan Bruce
BMW CCA 95025
BMW ACA LA
85  ///M635 (too fast for American hiways)
95  ///M3